Sea of Thieves Update 1.4.0 Includes Multiple Performance Improvements and Game Fixes
This is a very wide ranging update that targets a whole lot of issues in one fell swoop.
Sea of Thieves’ Shrouded Spoils expansion launched today on Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, and it came alongside update 1.4.0 for the game. But apart from bringing a whole lot of new tangible features and content to the game via said expansion, update 1.4.0 also brings with it a spate of performance fixes and gameplay improvements.
These fixes are very wide ranging, and seem to target, mostly, smaller issues that cumulatively can affect the experience a whole lot—therefore, we have gameplay fixes (mostly relating to glitches with the Kraken battles), server migration (fixing problems players faced after migrating servers), sound, music, and sound effects, the UI, and more. You the full, exhaustive, thoroughly comprehensive patch notes for this update for yourself below.
The update comes in at just under 3GB on Xbox One and Xbox One X, and slightly over 4GB on Windows 10 PCs, so it shouldn’t take long to download, and ideally should be downloaded already if you leave your systems in Sleep Mode. Sea of Thieves is available now on Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs.
- Stream Sailor Makeup – This new look, inspired by a famous pirate who was known for her sense of style and loyal following is now stocked across all Outpost’s.
- Sea Dogs Ship Cosmetics – The Sea Dogs capstan, wheel and cannons are now available to purchase from the Shipwright in The Wilds. These are locked behind progression with the Order of Souls.
- Sovereign Ship Cosmetics – The Sovereign capstan, wheel and cannons are now available to purchase from the Shipwright in The Ancient Isles. These are locked behind progression with the Gold Hoarders.
- Admiral Ship Cosmetics – The Admiral capstan, wheel and cannons are now available to purchase from the Shipwright in The Shores of Plenty. These are locked behind progression with the Merchant Alliance.
- Kraken Ship Cosmetics – The Kraken capstan, wheel and cannons are now available for purchase from the Shipwright in The Devil’s Roar.
- Bone Crusher Ship Cosmetics – The Bone Crusher capstan, wheel and cannons are now available to purchase from the Shipwright in The Devil’s Roar.
- Ocean Crawler Ship Cosmetics – The Ocean Crawler capstan, wheel and cannons are now available to purchase from the Shipwright in The Devil’s Roar.
- Pirate Legend Cosmetics – The Legend capstan, wheel and cannons can now be purchased from the Shipwright within the Pirate Legends’ Hideout. Alongside the ship additions, the hideout is also stocking the Legend shovel, compass, lantern, tankard, spyglass and pocket watch. These require various Pirate Legend Commendations to be completed before they can be purchased.
- Ghost Sail and Flag – These cosmetics have now been updated and appear with an eerie glow!
- Cannonball Radial – When docked to a cannon, players can now select which type of cannonball to load from the nifty new radial menu.
- Achievement Rebalancing – We’ve listened to feedback and adjusted the requirements of some of the achievements related to cashing in items. These are: Black Powder Merchant, Merchant Voyager, Merchant Forager, Voyager of Lost Souls, Golden Voyager, Hoarder of Barnacled Gold, Hoarder of the Captain’s Gold and Master Hunter of Villainous Skulls. Players who earned those achievements before the rebalance will receive an exclusive in-game item over the next couple of weeks to mark their prowess. If you find you now meet the requirements, just cash in one more item to trigger your achievement!
- Devil’s Roar Rebalancing – Based on player feedback and data analysis, The Devil’s Roar has cooled off a little. Volcanoes will now erupt less frequently and volcanic rocks will hit players and their ships less often.
- Gunpowder Barrels – Explosions from Gunpowder Barrels now damage Kraken tentacles.
- Treasure Glint – Sunken or floating treasure will now glint, making it easier to spot.
- Rowboat Push – The angle from which you can push a stuck Rowboat has been improved, which should make it easier to get it out of tight spots!
- Hear That Grog – Players will now hear the hearty slosh of their grog as they jump with, walk with or raise their tankard. Cheers!
- Rowboat Docking – Players can now dock/detach the Rowboat from their ship while sitting in the Rowboat.
- Smashed rum bottles will still appear smashed when returning from the Ferry of the Damned.
- The ship’s bell is correctly affected by the wind and turbulence in a storm.
- In Trading Company shops in non-English languages, Company items will now have the required rank translated.
- Stats that contribute to Commendations are now tracked when completing Skeleton Ship battles as a Pirate Legend.
- Player camera angles can no longer become incorrectly clamped after being grabbed by a Kraken tentacle.
- Players can no longer potentially be sucked through the ship by the Kraken when targeted.
- Fixed several issues which caused player camera chaos after being thrown by the Kraken.
- Skeleton Ships will no longer ping into the air on occasion.
- Players will no longer be teleported if they run into the head of a Kraken tentacle as it wraps around their ship.
- Upon leaving and returning to a caged pig, it will no longer be difficult to feed when holding a banana.
- If drowned by a Kraken tentacle, players will no longer be locked in a 180 degree camera rotation when spawning on the Ferry of the Damned.
- Equipped ship flags will persist after a crew opts to scuttle their ship.
- Players can no longer buy Letters of Recommendation from Duke when they are already at the max level with the selected Trading Company.
- Snakes in baskets can no longer attack players through the decks of ships.
- During Skeleton Ship battles there will no longer be occasional long delays between waves.
- Players who defeat a Fort and migrate will no longer find the Fort door shut, making it impossible to collect their treasure.
- Migrated treasure will now sink after the standard duration has expired.
- Crews are now eligible for server migration when they have a Rowboat docked to their ship.
- After migrating, players will now once again receive pop-ups when digging up treasure chests for in-progress voyages.
- If ship barrels are empty when players migrate, they will no longer get restocked.
- After server migration, players can no longer get into a state where they can’t loot barrels.
Sound and Visuals
- While selecting a ship, players will now hear sound effects to accompany the character animations on the left side of the screen.
- SFX will no longer incorrectly repeat.
- Smoke VFX will now appear correctly when shooting any gun while swimming on the surface of the water.
- Upon charming and killing a snake, the hissing noise will no longer persist in that location.
- Skeletons on Skeleton Ships will no longer occasionally T-pose when moving around the ship.
- The Ghost Hook will no longer overlap with items held in players’ hands.
- Campfire flames no longer clip through the cooking pot at Stephen’s Spoils Seapost.
- The “We Shall Sail Together” music is no longer missing from multiple Hideout entrances.
- When first approaching a Skeleton Galleon, it is no longer temporarily displayed as a player Galleon.
- When looking at clouds from underwater, they no longer have a dark halo.
- When looking at underwater explosions from above the surface, they no longer have a dark halo.
- Skeleton Ship Clouds will no longer be hidden by other clouds.
- Players will no longer collide with the terrain and fail to fire out of the cannon on the East of Ashen Reaches.
- Players are no longer able to walk up the vertical rock on the West of Morrow’s Peak Outpost.
- Fixed a rock which players could see through on Flintlock Peninsula.
- If there is a Gunpowder Barrel explosion inside a Skeleton Fort keep, it will no longer cause Gunpowder Barrels within the vault to explode.
- The moon no longer appears in front of the clouds.
- Water will no longer temporarily appear gelatinous upon approach.
- Players will no longer be teleported when swimming into the pier on Sanctuary Outpost.
- Commendation pop-ups no longer appear twice.
- Players’ titles are now still displayed in the escape menu after they’ve died.
- The top right of the Vanity Chest UI will now correctly update when players equip a different title.