Sony flatly denies any cuts in their order.
We are close now to the launch of the next generation consoles from both Sony and Microsoft. While Microsoft’s plans and prices are clear and clean, the wait is still on for Sony to reveal both their price and date for their PS5. Despite that wait, behind the scenes, both entities are working to get those systems firmly on shelves. There was a report earlier that Sony had hit a snag there, but it seems Sony is pushing back against said report.
The original report came from Bloomberg and said that Sony had cut their production order of the PS5 by 4 million units (going from 15 million ordered units by March 2021 to 11 million). You can read more about that through here. GamesIndustry reached out to Sony about the report, and it seems Sony has denied that they have cut back any of their production order, flatly saying, “While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false. We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production.”
It is worth mentioning that while that’s a pretty flat denial, part of the Bloomberg report was that the yield of chips for the system had fallen behind. It’s possible that part of the initial story is accurate, meaning that Sony’s order may still be affected in the end, but at the very least, Sony has seemingly made no official altercations to said order.
We aren’t sure of when the PS5 will launch yet, though most people are banking on November, close to the launch of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, both of which release on the 10th. Sony is scheduled to have a PS5-themed showcase tomorrow, which many hope will finally pull back the curtain on those details.
Update: Sony has denied reports it has cut PS5 production numbershttps://t.co/bPwmwXUt3p
— GamesIndustry (@GIBiz) September 15, 2020