EA and DICE are taking their time with the next entry in the Battlefield series. Work on Battlefield 6 is confirmed to be underway, and we know that the shooter will be coming to next-gen consoles in 2021, but we don’t know much else beyond that. However, some new information may now have emerged.
Tom Henderson – a reputed insider who’s accurately leaked Call of Duty and Battlefield information on multiple occasions in the past – recently took to Twitter and dropped some interesting pieces of info. Henderson claims that Battlefield 6 maps are being designed with 128+ players in mind, but adds that 32 vs 32 matches will still be the standard, core playlist, and that larger maps don’t necessarily have to mean that 64 vs 64 will be supported.
Personally, given how Battlefield as a series has always gone for large scale multiplayer battles and how DICE and EA have held back on its launch to take full advantage of next-gen hardware, I don’t think 64 vs 64 battles in larger maps would be that much of a stretch for the next game- but that’s just speculation on my part.
Meanwhile, in another tweet, Henderson said that due to the success of Call of Duty: Warzone, EA and DICE are both eyeing the battle royale genre with interest, though he also says that there is no confirmation of a battle royale mode in the next Battlefield yet. Battlefield 5 did try its hand at the genre with the Firestorm mode, so it’s entirely possible that DICE try that out once more, and try to integrate it better in the base game.
A couple of months ago, Henderson also suggested that Battlefield 6 would be returning to a modern-day setting. You can read more on that through here.
EA CEO Andrew Wilson said earlier this year that the game’s development is “progressing very, very well.”
Battlefield news; Maps have been designed with 128+ players in mind. But 32 vs 32 will also be a standard playlist.— Tom Henderson (@_TomHenderson_) August 13, 2020
I agree. But they have been designed with those player counts in mind. It doesn't necessarily mean 64vs64 is coming. The core game is still 32vs32. https://t.co/zoGmkWFq2d— Tom Henderson (@_TomHenderson_) August 13, 2020
Battlefield news; There's also been increased interest in Battle Royale due to the success of Warzone. No confirmation of a BR in the next Battlefield yet, but could EA and DICE be planning a F2P Battlefield experience?— Tom Henderson (@_TomHenderson_) August 13, 2020