Fortnite’s Update 1.79 Adds Port-A-Fortress, Optimizations, Bug Fixes, and More
We also get the limited time mode Soaring Solos.
We had reported just yesterday that the Port-A-Fortress defense item would soon be added to Fortnite. Well, it’s already here, along with a bunch of other changes that the new update 1.79 brings to the game.
The Getaway game mode that was added with the High Stakes event has now been removed from the game, and in its place comes the new Soaring Solos limited time event, in which gliders can be re-deployed when jumping from tall heights. Apart from this, this new patch also brings a few optimizations and various bug fixes to improve players’ overall experience with the game.
It’s great to see how Epic Games keeps updating the game regularly with new content, items, and weapons, just to keep things fresh for the playerbase. Hopefully, we’ll get to see a lot more content soon enough, with the inevitable Season 6 looming on the horizon- although there hasn’t really been any official information regarding it.
You can check out the full patch notes below (as provided by Epic).
- CPU optimization for Xbox One (optimized memory copy operations). This is expected to improve performance.
- Fortnite 1.79 update optimized file layout on Xbox One to improve streaming performance. This should reduce instances of buildings rendering in late.
Battle Royale Changes in Fortnite version 1.79
LIMITED TIME MODE: SOARING SOLOS
Classic Battle Royale with gliders that can be re-deployed by pressing Jump when falling from large heights.
Fortnite update 1.79 introduced a new consumable to the Playground LTM that will allow you to spawn an entire Spiky Stadium. We were inspired by the amazing things you’ve been making within Playground, and cannot wait to see what you create as we continue to build out the future of creative mode in Fortnite.
- Limited Time Item: Spiky Stadium
- Present in Playground only, found in red Supply Drops (along with a ton of impulse grenades).
- Builds a 7×11 sized stadium full of Damage Traps and Bouncers.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- It’s huge!
- Builds instantly.
- Fortnite version 1.79 includes built-in Bouncers for an easy exit.
- Legendary Rarity.
- Found in Vending Machines, chests, Supply Drops, and Supply Llamas.
- Fortnite update 1.79 fixed an issue where there was a slight delay when consuming multiple Small Shield Potions.
- The Grappler will no longer result in an inability to change equipment.
- Reduced the edit button hold timing when using a controller.
- Old School from 0.25s to 0.2s.
- Quick Builder from 0.25s to 0.2s.
- Combat Pro from 0.25s to 0.2s.
- Builder Pro from 0.25s to 0.15s.
- The Storm wall no longer destroys structures during the last few circles of the match.
- Reload audio for the Double Barrel Shotgun no longer plays twice.
- Unsupported characters within in-game names will now show up as �, rather than the fallback debugging font glyph that was previously used. Loading the fallback font was causing long hitches for clients, so we’ve disabled it.
- Fixed an issue causing the reticle to not appear until after you’ve switched weapons.
- Fortnite 1.79 added new generic icons to represent console and desktop platforms for cross-platform play.
ART + ANIMATION
- Fortnite update 1.79 added edge glow to wall bounce pads, only visible from the reverse side. This is to help players recognize when a wall bounce pad is on the opposite side of a ledge in front of them.
- CUBE visual effects will no longer get stuck after a player has left the area.
- The Grill Sergeant Outfit will now render properly in-game.
- This fixes the issue where players were seeing a floating head and pickaxe.
Save the World Changes in Fortnite update 1.79
MISSIONS + SYSTEMS
- Weekly Horde Challenge 7
- This week, deploy your fort against hordes of enemies who are immune to crowd control effects. Stuns, knockbacks and slowing fields won’t help you this time!
- Earn 1500 Gold for the first-time completion.
- This challenge is repeatable for Event Tickets.
- Fortnite patch 1.79 fixed an issue preventing players from being able to complete Storm Shield Defense side missions.
- The Keen Eyes ability now properly highlights nearby loot.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Bowler Flintlock Launcher added to the Weekly Store.
- Fires cannon balls that damage and knockback groups of enemies.
- The cannon balls can bounce before exploding, damaging nearby enemies with each bounce.
- Available Wednesday, September 19 at 8 PM ET until Wednesday, September 26 at 8 PM ET.
- Added fixes for some crashing issues with Fortnite patch 1.79.
- Added fixes for stuttering and lag issues.
- Fortnite 1.79 update has added stability improvements.
- Added other minor fixes with Fortnite version 1.79.
- Various UI fixes and changes.