This year’s Tokyo Game Show came to a close after a new digital format, one that seemed to be pretty successful, and as usual it was filled with lots of titles from lots of publishers. We’re also close to a new generation of consoles launching, so there’s so much to pay attention to. After the show, Japanese players were polled as to what their most wanted games were after TGS ended and, while most were what you expect, a few surprises slipped in.
The polling was done via major Japanese gaming media Famitsu, Dengeki, 4Gamer, and V Jump. It was to determine what games that had released on September 24th or later the public was most excited for. While it’s no surprise that Capcom’s Monster Hunter Rise was at the top of the list, it is a bit of a shock that it was not number 1. That spot ended up going to Genshin Impact, the recently released free to play action title. Capcom, however, really was the MVP on the 15 game list having three other titles beside Rise on there: Resident Evil Village, Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition and Monster Hunter Stories 2.
The rest of the list was somewhat predictable, including Final Fantasy 16, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, NeiR Replicant and Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires. Cyberpunk 2077 also managed to just make the list at 13, the sole western title. Mobile had a pretty strong presence, too, as a few slots were taken by mobile-only titles such as Sakura Revolution and Project Sekai Colorful Stage! both from Sega.
Thanks to Siliconera for translating and compiling the list. You can see it, as well as the platforms for each title, in full below.
- Genshin Impact (PC, PS4, iOS, Android; also coming later to Switch and PS5)
- Monster Hunter Rise (Switch)
- Project Sekai Colorful Stage! feat. Hatsune Miku (iOS, Android)
- Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
- Resident Evil Village (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PC; PS4 & Xbox One being considered)
- Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Switch)
- Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
- Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster (PS4, Switch)
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Switch)
- Sakura Revolution (iOS, Android)
- R-Type Final 2 (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S)
- Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban! (Switch)
- Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Stadia)
- NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch, PC)