Powering up players in Madden NFL 22’s Ultimate Team requires its fair share of resources but is ultimately necessary for better ratings and stats. First, you need to accumulate Training Points or Training Items and have Power-Up Cards in your possession. For each upgrade, a different amount of Training Points is needed, though you could also use a Training Item.
Rank 6 upgrades are special though – you need an item to upgrade the player along with owning a Core Elite card for them. So what are the benefits of upgrading characters? Usually obtaining slots for Superstar and X-Factor abilities, Positions (though this is limited to positions on the player’s team), Chemistries and so on. Mixing and matching the right abilities is key, though it also depends on the player’s role so choose the best combination that fits your play-style. Keep in mind that refunding upgrades is possible but will only return half of the Training Points invested.
Even if you’re swimming in Training Points, Training Items and Power-Up Cards, it’s still important to focus on certain players to upgrade before others. Let’s take a look at some of the best options available.
- Bobby Anderson – A former Washington player, Anderson is a halfback who does very well with catches. If you’re looking to invest in a player for the short-term, you can’t go wrong with him.
- Montez Sweat – Another Washington player, Sweat is very fast and plays the Defensive End. A good choice if you favor speed.
- Saquon Barkley – With an 89 OVR, Barkley boasts some fairly high Speed, Agility, Jumping and Agility stats. A great running back for the New York Giants.
- Justin Reid – Playing for the Houston Texans, Reid is also a very fast player and can compete against Sweat for the top spot. Upgrade him if you need a reliable free safety player and hit power isn’t too important.
- Deion Jones – The Atlanta Falcons linebacker is pretty good overall. Worth upgrading if you need an all-around performer.
For more tips on which players to upgrade, checking out Zirksee’s video guide below. Swift’s video is also useful for tips on earning more Training Points.