Famitsu have revealed the charts for video game software and hardware sales in Japan for last week. Marvel’s Avengers was easily the biggest new release of the previous week, and though it enjoyed a strong debut in parts of the world, its performance in Japan at launch has been less impressive. The game debuted in second place, selling over 42,000 units in three days.
NBA 2K21 was another major new release last week, and it debuted in seventh place, with over 8,000 units sold. Meanwhile, Ring Fit Adventure was the top selling game of the week, selling over 63,000 copies. The rest of the top 10 was dominated by rather familiar faces in these charts, including the likes of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Ghost of Tsushima, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and more.
On the hardware front, it was business as usual. The Nintendo Switch was the top selling console of the week, moving over 77,000 units. This, in fact, takes its lifetime sales in Japan to over 15 million units. Meanwhile, the PS4’s sales continue to slow down as we move closer to the PS5’s launch, with the console selling just under 2,000 units across the week.
You can check out the full Japanese software and hardware charts for the week ending September 6 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 63.958 / 1.483.985
02. [PS4] Marvel’s Avengers – 42.979 / NEW
03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 32.136 / 5.660.598
04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13.523 / 3.145.381
05. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 13.410 / 362.420
06. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima – 9.563 / 385.143
07. [PS4] NBA 2K21 – 8.541 / NEW
08. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 7.725 / 3.817.668
09. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki – 7.606 / 91.286
10. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 – 7.318 / 215.075
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales):
Nintendo Switch – 77,611 (78773)
PS4 – 1,816 (1,926)
3DS – 923 (1,011)
Xbox One – 29 (28)