Famitsu has released the data for last week’s software and hardware sales in Japan, and it was a pretty big week for Nintendo. Metroid Dread launched last week, and just as it did in the UK, it enjoyed a solid debut in Japan as well, topping the charts with nearly 87,000 units sold. That makes it the series’ best launch in Japan to date by a significant margin. Metroid Dread has also instantly become the fourth highest-selling Metroid game in Japan to date.
Another new release last week was Far Cry 6, which has also seen a solid debut. It actually occupies two places in the charts, with the PS4 (over 34,000 copies sold) and PS5 (over 16,000 copies sold) versions of the game debuting at second and third place respectively, for a total of nearly 51,000 units sold over the week.
On the hardware front, the Nintendo Switch dominates as always, but with sales being significantly boosted thanks to the launch of the Switch OLED. In total, the Switch sold over 179,000 units, of which over 138,000 were Switch OLED units. Interestingly enough the new model has sold less at launch than the Switch Lite (177,936) and the base Switch 330,637) did, but according to Bloomberg, pre-orders for Switch OLED sold out quickly, and Nintendo most likely underestimated demand for the device.
Meanwhile, the Xbox Series X/S also crossed 100,000 lifetime sales in Japan, less than a year from launch. In comparison, it took the Xbox One 50 months to hit that milestone. The new consoles look set to surpass the Xbox One’s lifetime sales in the coming months.
You can check out the full software and hardware charts for the week ending October 10 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [NSW] Metroid Dread – 86,798 (New)
- [PS4] Far Cry 6 – 34,219 (New)
- [PS5] Far Cry 6 – 16,686 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 12,257 (4,085,509)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 11,936 (4,450,954)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 11,257 (2,862,651)
- [NSW] Minecraft – 10,699 (2,225,165)
- [NSW] Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! – 9,513 (New)
- [PS4] Lost Judgment – 8,589 (140,834)
- [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! – 7,787 (144,966)
- Nintendo Switch – 179,851
- PS5 – 15,885
- Xbox Series X/S – 3,447
- PS4 – 961