Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure topped the software charts.
It’s no secret at this point that Nintendo has been on fire with their Switch console. As the end of the year 2020 sales have rolled in, we’ve seen the system on top in a surprising way, even in regions where Nintendo is generally not the strongest. Now it’s Japan’s turn, and the system is nothing less than king there, it seems.
As reported by Famitsu (via GamesIndustry), the system made up a whopping 87% of total console sales in the country. Of course, like a lot of these reports, there are caveats to consider, mainly the stock issue of new generation consoles as well as the PS4/Xbox One being in their waning years (not to mention, Xbox having no presence so to speak of there). Still, though, that’s incredible market share. That equates to the regular Switch selling 3.45 million copies with the Lite edition just over 1 million.
Software charts tell a similar story as it’s mostly topped by Nintendo exclusives with Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Ring Fit Adventure taking the top spot. The only game not on a Nintendo system there is Final Fantasy 7 Remake, which released as a PS4 exclusive.
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 6,378,103
2. Ring Fit Adventure – 1,591,366
3. Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban! – 1,233,023
4. Final Fantasy 7 Remake – 949,379
5. Pokémon Sword/Shield – 892,456
6. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe – 798,174
7. Super Smash Bros Ultimate – 560,122
8. Minecraft: Switch Edition – 556,982
9. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 519,649
10. Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 492,620