Motion Twin and Evil Empire recently released the “Breaking Barriers” update for Dead Cells which added multiple accessibility features to the game. But that was just the prelude – the alpha for Update 30.0 is now available on Steam. It adds the new Panchaku weapon, the new Bobby outfit (complete with the pink flaming head from the animated trailers), tons of balance changes for weapons, and new Legendary Affixes.
The Panchaku deals critical hits to enemies in front of you along with a stylish combo finish. As for the weapon changes, the Hard Light Sword and Pistol, Maw of the Deep, Leghugger, Gilded Yumi, Killing Deck, Greed Shield and many others are being buffed. However, the Boy’s Axe, Smoke Bomb, Bladed Tonfas, Crusher, Rapier, Sonic Carbine and Hokuto’s Bow have seen nerfs.
None of these are final. The idea is “test the changes with a broader set of players and make some changes based on feedback anyway.”
The biggest change, however, is to Legendary Weapons. They now only scale off of your highest stat instead of the two highest. Instead, new Legendary Affixes are being added with certain weapons receiving specific affixes. These roll on top of the item’s normal stats and affixes. You won’t be able to replace, remove or re-roll them.
Check out some of the patch notes below and the full notes here. Stay tuned for more details when Update 30.0 eventually goes live for all platforms.
Update 30.0: 2022-07-06 (291232a1)
New Weapon: Panchaku
- Two pans tied together by a string, the perfect DIY weapon to tear through the island!
Crits on enemies facing you.
New Outfit: Bobby Outfit
- A new outfit inspired by the Beheaded’s design from the Dead Cells trailers, flaming head included.
New crossover content with Soul Knight:
Those features were already in the Mobile version of Dead Cells, we just brought them over to PC and Consoles!
- Weapon: Magic Bow, fires 5 slowly-moving, homing arrows.
- Outfit: Knight’s Outfit, inspired by Soul Knight’s character of the same name.
- New lore room in Prisoners’ Quarters to unlock the blueprints!
New Custom Mode Option: Legendaries Only
- Turns all weapons found in the run into legendary ones.
We completely reworked how Legendary Weapons work!
Removed the double stat scaling, but kept the colorless status. They now scale on your highest stat only. It was mostly overpowered, rather counter-intuitive (you had to split stats whereas you should do the opposite in non-legendary situations) and not really fun (just adding more damage on top of your damage).
Added a unique Legendary Affix to all Weapons. A Legendary Weapon will always have its Legendary Affix on top of its normal rolled ones.
- Added new Double Stack Legendary Affix, which doubles the number of stacks applied by the weapon. (Things like poison, fire, etc.)
- Added new Global Shield on Kill Legendary Affix.
- Added new Better Secrets Legendary Affix, which upgrades the quality of secrets found in the ground or walls by one tier.
- Added new True Evil Legendary Affix, deals triple damage but locks out the rest of the loadout as long as the weapon is equipped.
- Added new God Slayer Legendary Affix, increases the crit multiplier of the weapon’s last hit.
- Added new Death Root Legendary Affix, roots nearby enemies on kill.
- Added new Mega Crit Legendary Affix, increases crit damage by 75%.
- Added new Cascading Tomb Legendary Affix, unique to the Tombstone, doom effect can trigger recursively.
- Added new Rebuild on Kill Legendary Affix, unique to the Broken Toothpick, repairs the weapon on kill.
- Added new Speed Ball Legendary Affix, reduces the pause time between the attacks.
- Added new Super Slice Legendary Affix, unique to Queen’s Rapier, increases greatly the range of the reality slices.
- Added new Fire on Hit Legendary Affix, puts hit enemies on fire.
- Added new Double Bullets Legendary Affix, doubles the number of projectiles shot by the weapon.
- Added new Triple Bullets Legendary Affix, triples the number of projectiles shot by the weapon.
- Added new Golden Damage Legendary Affix, buffs the weapon’s damage based on the player’s current gold count.
- Added new Stun Shield Legendary Affix, stuns any enemy parried by the shield.
- Added new Double Speed Legendary Affix, projectiles shot by the weapon go twice as fast.
- Added new Echo Legendary Affix, replays a grenade’s explosion a second time.
- Added new Bigger Explosion Legendary Affix, increases a grenade’s explosion radius.
- Added new Ice Walker Legendary Affix, unique to Ice Armor, the created armor never expires.
- Repeater Crossbow: crit damage nerf
- Hard Light Sword and Pistol: slight damage buff to the sword and attack speed buff to the pistol
- Queen’s Rapier: the delayed slice hits sooner.
- Maw of the Deep: attack speed buff
- Wrecking Ball: first and last attack are faster
- Leghugger: now jumps on a nearby target before launching its reactivation attack + keeps its growth state across instances of the object in a run
- Gilded Yumi: charge time slightly decreased + now crits reliably on Mama Tick (to be consistent with Impaler)
- Killing Deck: damage buff on the first 2 attacks
- Hand Hook: now also crits when the thrown enemy hits another entity
- Greed Shield: can now trigger once per enemy every 10 seconds + damage buff
- Frantic Sword: crit multiplier is now inversely proportional to your life (when at or under 50% max life)
- Abyssal Trident: slight damage buff
- Shrapnel Axes: slight damage buff
- Pollo Power: now fires 1 more egg + damage buff
- Smoke Bomb and Grappling Hook: scaling heavily nerfed. It was scaling exponentially.
- Lightning Bolt: now crits one tick earlier and damages you 1 tick later
- Spiked Shield: crit damage buff
- Hokuto’s Bow: procs less often + damage bonus nerfed
- Sonic Carbine: damage nerf
- Rapier: damage nerf
- Boy’s Axe: damage nerf, can’t roll the Extra Ammo affix anymore and can’t be affected by Ammo mutation.
- Hunter’s Grenade: no longer provides stats
- Crusher: its slow is now less effective on bosses
- Maw of the Deep: its root is now less effective on bosses
- Bladed Tonfas: slight nerf of the crit multiplier
- Lacerating Aura: cooldown now starts at the end of the effect instead of starting at cast
- New Crit condition for the Crowbar: now also crits on “monster” enemies (non-humanoid, non-mechanic). It still keeps its old crit condition as well, this is not a replacement.
- Increased damage of the Fire Trails affixes (projectile and running).