Despite relatively mixed reception, Days Gone has clearly had a strong start in terms of commercial performance. In the UK, it topped the charts in its debut week, before retaining that position the following week, while also becoming the biggest retail launch for a game in the country for 2019. In Japan, too, the game has enjoyed a very impressive debut, selling over 114,000 units to take the top spot, as per sales data provided by Famitsu.
Meanwhile, the Nintendo Switch release of Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age has debuted in second place, but sees a significant gulf in sales from the top spot, with over 20,000 copies sold. Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Deluxe Edition is another new entry in the top 10 this week, occupying third place with over 17,000 copies sold, while the final new entry, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for the Switch, is in at sixth place with over 10,000 units sold.
Meanwhile, Nintendo evergreens like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Yoshi’s Crafted World, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still continue to exhibit strong legs.
On the hardware front, things remain largely unchanged. The Switch is still the highest selling console, same as last week (and several weeks before that), with over 42,000 units moved. The PS4 collectively sold over 14,000 units (base model and PS4 Pro sales combined).
You can find the Japanese hardware and software sales charts for the week ending April 28 below.
Software charts (followed by lifetime sales)
- [PS4] Days Gone – 114,319 / NEW
- [NSW] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – 20,366 / NEW
- [NSW] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Deluxe Edition – 17,618 / NEW
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 13,573 / 3,043,150
- [NSW] Minecraft – 10,509 / 748,009
- [NSW] Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen – 10,207 / NEW
- [NSW] Yoshi’s Crafted World – 9,138 / 109,871
- [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 8,962 / 584,806
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 8,456 / 2,269,581
- [NSW] Nintendo Labo VR Kit – 7,467 / 43,175
Hardware charts (followed by last week’s sales)
Switch – 42,108 (40,338)
PS4 – 8,786 (40,338)
PS4 Pro – 5,381 (4,661)
New 2DS LL – 3,927 (2,600)
New 3DS LL – 653 (632)
PS Vita – 536 (571)
Xbox One X – 103 (44)
Xbox One S – 52 (39)